Over the last few years, I have had to answer questions ranging from where to stay to what to do in Victoria and occasionally, I also ask what there is to do in Victoria. Well, I have decided to write this post on what you can do in Victoria. I hope that this post helps you plan your next trip to Victoria. Victoria is the capital of British Columbia and is only accessible by water or air. Victoria is blessed with one of the best weather conditions in Canada as we do not have extreme winter conditions. (It rarely ever snows)
What makes this post different from what is on trip advisor and the rest? Firstly, this post was written with lots of love and by me: I have tried almost everything that I recommend.
Note: * indicates that I haven’t been to the place but have heard really good reviews.
Places to Visit and What To Do
- Parliament Buildings
- Fisherman’s wharf
- IMax Experience and the Royal BC Museum
- Finnerty Gardens
- Butchart Gardens*
- Hiking trails- Mt Tolmie Park, Mt. Doug
- Inner Harbour
- Beacon Hill Park
- Beaches- Willows Beach, Gyro Beach, Arbutus Cove Park
- Whale watching*
- Miniature world *
- Bastion Square
- The Fairmont Empress
- Take the ferry to Vancouver or a neighbouring island like Salt spring island
- Harbour Area- in the summer, there are a lot of shows, festivals and performances.
- Water Taxis and Tours
- Over the Christmas holidays, you can visit the best light displays
How to move around– Sadly, we do not have uber in BC yet but the taxis are pretty cheap since everywhere is close by. Don’t forget to try out a water taxi if you can. The busses are fairly reliable although if you stay downtown or in the James Bay Area, you can walk everywhere. Busses cost $5 for a days pass.
What to carry- Victoria is not a tropical island and the weather could be “all over the place”. So, in addition to all your bikinis, shorts and summer clothes, I would advice you carry a warm sweater and an umbrella. Most importantly, you want to check the weather forecast as you pack for your trip!
Where to eat– Aha, the inner foodie in me is alive! Well, if you are coming from somewhere in Canada, you probably don’t want to hear They Keg, Cactus Club Cafe, Brown’s Social House, Moxies, etc. PS: Cactus Club has an amazing Jambalaya rice bowl. But here are some spots you could try out:
- Blue Fox Cafe
- Jam Cafe (* never been because the long lineups)
- Floyd’s Dinner (* never been because the long lineups)
- Westcoast Waffles
Lunch & Dinner
- Bin 4 Burger Lounge (one of the few things I miss about Victoria. Half off gourmet burgers after 9pm)
- Pagliacci’s (the bread here is divine and there’s also a live Italian band in the evenings)
- Don Mee (Best Chinese dishes in my opinion)
- Baan Thai
- Prima Strada
- Puerto Vallarta Amigos
- Itami Sushi Restaurant
- G’s Donair
- The Local
- Nautical Nellies Steak and Seafood House
- Q at the Empress
- Sizzling Tandoor
From the locals: Cook Street Village has some really good “hidden” restaurants. Cafe Mexico*, is a really good Mexican restaurant inside market square.
- Stikey Wicket Pub (Rooftop in the summer)
- Yates Street Taphouse (try the Bellini)
- Tapa Bar
- 5th Street Bar and Woodfire Grill
- Lure Restaurant and Bar
Clubs– Upstairs Cabaret, Distrikt, Sugar and Papparazi.
- Lazer Tag- Laser City Fun Centre*
- Escape Room- Escape Warriors
- Watch a movie- Cineplex Odeon Victoria Cinemas (located on Yates street, downtown) but SilverCity Victoria Cinemas is bigger and better.
- Play board games- Interactivity Board Game Cafe
- Play Volleyball- Rooftop surf club
Worth seeing but not in the greater Victoria Area– Goldstream Park*, Thetis Lake Regional Park*, Sooke Potholes and Cowichan Bay.
Here is my guide to touring Victoria! I hope you enjoyed this post. Please feel free to share with your friends, like and comment. And if you are not already subscribed to the blog, please sign up so you don’t miss new blog posts. Been to Victoria before? Please share what you enjoyed the most as well as your recommendations!
My deepest apologies for how late this post is (my laptop crashed) but there is a giveaway for a $10 amazon or apple gift card that ends on the 23rd of July, 2017 (click here for details).