My friend gave me this ankara top sometime in April and I instantly knew it was one of those pieces that would be very versatile in my wardrobe. In this post, I’ll share 7 ways I think you can wear an ankara to. It doesn’t matter where you are going to or the vibe you are looking for, I think this is one of those pieces you can easily dress up or down and still look very fashionable with.
Here are ways you can style an ankara top:
- With a pair of Jeans: This top goes so well with skinny jeans, loose jeans or whatever type or shade of jeans you decide to go for. If you want to elevate the look a bit, you can add a white linen shirt or plain colored boyfriend shirt.
- With Linen shorts or pants: Linen is pretty big this summer so it is on brand for me to pair this with linen. Ankara and Linen is an unlikely pair but it turned out looking nice. Added a straw hat to give it that summer/vacation look.
- With a Black layered skirt: I totally recommend this look if you want to dress up this top a bit. I would wear this for date night or a ball or gala. The layered skirt isn’t too extra so it compliments this top very well without stealing the attention from the top. Added red shoes too to be on brand with the red lol.
- With a pencil skirt: Quite opposite to the flay skirt above. A pencil skirt is also another item you can wear this top with. Depending on the color of the skirt and any additional designs that could be on the skirt (i.e gold zippers, slits, stones), this could end up giving you a chic or sophisticated look. You can dress this up by wearing heels or dress it down by wearing trainers.
- With a plain colored suit: When I was styling this, I initially wanted to wear this with just the white pants to but the suit looked equally nice and I decided to share both. Interested in spicing up your office look a bit and don’t want to go for yet another plain colored camisole, shirt or satin shirt, try out an ankara top under your blazer or suit. Switch the shoes and take off the blazer for a more casual look.
- Pair with patterned pants: For this look, I wanted to explore mixing prints. I know it can be very tricky mixing prints but when you finally find the prints that go well together, this could elevate your outfit and make the look very unique. I paired this with houndstooth pants and a black blazer and I’ll let you decide if this is something you are feeling or not.
With plain colored shorts that contrast with the prints on the top: I picked these mustard paper bag shorts I bought last summer. They are a bit big for me which since I like the loose fit. The mustard contrasts well with the mustard on the top. I threw in some more color and added these white mules and a white purse. The matching bad and shoes is very much giving 2000’s mummy vibes – I’m not mad at that.
That’s it for this post. Which one was your favourite outfit and what are other ways you would style an ankara top? Looking for where you can get one of these tops, check out @debonnaredairy on instagram. She’s very affordable and lovely to work with. Please share with me your favourite look and how you would style this top. Looking forward to chatting with you soon!